There are some things the CDC recommends we all do during an extended power outage:
- Throw away food in the fridge if the temperature gets about 45 degrees, which happens after about two hours without power.
- Be careful of carbon monoxide poisoning when using backup devices beyond a generator or grill
- Check with local authorities to make sure the tap water is safe. Boil it for at least 2 minutes (once power's restored) if it's not.
- Drink plenty of liquids if it's hot and try not to move around too much to conserve energy.
- Turn off all appliances and lights and A/C or fans so there isn't a power surge when electricity is restored.
My grandmother and I talked for a couple of hours before she said it was time for bed and headed off, promising to keep a battery-powered night light by her bedside. I checked on her about an hour later and found her sleeping soundly, her head illuminated by a hallow of light from accidentally turning on the night light beneath her pillow.