A Symposium on Elder Abuse & Neglect Training
for Health Care Providers
8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Friday, June 7, 2013
Sharp Spectrum Auditorium
8695 Spectrum Center Blvd. , San Diego, CA 92123
Hear the latest information and find out about empowering resources for your senior-aged patients and clients. You’ll hear from Elder Abuse prosecutors and police, health care professionals specifically trained in Elder Care fields as well as specialized attorneys and fiduciaries so that you feel confident in identifying and reporting cases of suspected Elder Abuse and Neglect in your practice and community.
Symposium speakers include:
“The Demographics of Aging”
Colin Depp, PhD, UCSD, Stein Center for Successful Aging, Adjunct Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
“The Law, Elder Abuse and Neglect, and Our Role”
Paul Greenwood, J.D., Deputy District Attorney, Head of Elder Abuse Prosecutions for the San Diego District Attorney’s Office
“Elder Abuse: What You Need to Know for Our Fast Growing Older Population”
Steven Tam, M.D., Geriatrician, Department of Geriatrics; Department of Internal Medicine, University of California Irvine
“Dental Neglect in Older Adults”
Janet Bauer, D.D.S. M.Ed, M.P.H., M.B.A., Loma Linda University School of Dentistry
Scott Tolstad, Investigator, Financial Crimes and Fraud Unit, Escondido Police Department; licensed professional fiduciary
“APS: Making the Report”
Anabel Kuykendall, San Diego County Aging and Independence Services County of San Diego
“What if the Golden Years are not so Golden: Dementia and Conservatorship”
Nancy Kaupp Ewin, Certified Legal Specialist – Estate Planning, Trust & Probate Law; Elder Law Attorney: Estate and Trust Planning, Conservatorships and End-of-Life Planning
“What is a Private Fiduciary?”
Stella Shvil, J.D., C.L.P.F., Past President, Professional Fiduciary Association of California
“Geriatric Care Managers: How We Help Protect Vulnerable Seniors”
Amy Abrams, M.S.W./M.P.H. C.M.C., Geriatric Care Manager, Vice President, Client Services, Elder Care Guides
Did you know that nationally . . .
- Adults between age 60 and 70 are at three times the risk of being emotionally abused compared to adults over the age of 70.
- Seventy-six percent of perpetrators of physical mistreatment of older adults are family members.
- Acquaintances accounted for 19% of physical mistreatment of elders, and strangers make up 3%.
- In adults ages 60 and older, 1.6% reported that they had experienced physical mistreatment in the past year and 5% were currently being financially exploited by family members.
- In adults ages 60 and older, of those who were sexually abused, 16% reported to police and 53% said they were sexually mistreated by a family member.
- Of those who reported both crimes and their age to the Federal Trade Commission in 2010, people 60 and older made 14% of fraud complaints and 14% of identity theft complaints.
Source: San Diego County Aging & Independence Services
Receive 6 CEUs for attending this symposium (license categories include: RN, LCSW, DDS, RDH, RDA, RCFE, Cal . Lic. Professional Fiduciaries and more)
Cost: $60. Includes a continental breakfast and lunch as well as snacks and beverages.
You can register online by June 5. For more information or to register by phone: call (619) 543-4700.
Special thanks to the San Diego County Dental Society for CEUs and Alvarado Institute of Skin Care at Grossmont Medical Center for gifts for our participants.