Earlier we discussed environmental issues to consider when it is time for a loved one with dementia to transition to a long-term care residential facility. Today we tackle services.
As with our other list of questions, these come from the California Advocates for Nursing Home Reform.
- Are there activities especially designed for those with dementia?
- Do activity programs operate exclusively during the day or are some provided on evenings and weekend?
- Are activities individualized for each resident?
- Does the facility operate a "Safe Return" program?
- Are nutritious finger foods served?
- Are water and decaf drinks available through the day?
- Do they conduct night checks?
- How many staff members are awake during the night?