Earlier we discussed questions to ask about a facility's environment and services specific to dementia care. Today we're suggesting areas to consider asking -- yourself or residential home officials -- about staff. Once again, we thank CAHR for providing this checklist.
- Do people, particularly the direct care staff, have special training in dementia care? How many hours? And at what frequency?
- What role does the staff have in the care planning process?
- What role does the resident and family or legal representative have in the care planning process?
- Does someone with special training with dementia patients coordinate the activity program? Are they full time? Do they have assistants?
- Is staff assigned to work with the same residents?
- What is the ratio of direct care staff to residents at each shift?
- Who supervises staff? What are their qualifications?
- What special training does the administrator and supervisors receive in dementia care?